Dienstag, 25. Januar 2011

A. Lange & Soehne - A personal view about the novelties 2011


Six novelties have been shown, nothing more and nothing less. Watch companies need in general about two years for creating something new. After the big crisis in 2008, we couldn´t probably expect a firework of novelties like we saw the years before and that is more than fine for me.

At first, only one more complication is missing in the house of Lange – the Minute Repeater.

The “high-level” basis for a wider audience has to be covered, even from the top-notch brands. Lots of simple, thin and less complicated watches could be seen at SIHH – most of them very classic. Lange is no exception and we see the expansion of the Saxonia family.


Saxonia Thin

Let´s start with my personal favourite from the Saxonia family, the Saxonia Thin.








Never have I thought about thin movements and Lange at the same time – so far.


Caliber L093.1; Saxonia Thin; Diameter: 28 millimetres; height: 2.9 millimetres

For comparison: Caliber L941.1; 1815 (discontinued), Saxonia from 2007 and Saxonia from 2011

The idea of a thin movement is something I like a lot, especially when it fits the size of the case and so I look forward to different (white!) metals and dials.

Competitors – there are quite a few in the top league and some are even thinner, but most have a tiny movement inside and therefore they are not shown in most of the cases.


Saxonia Dual Time

An elegant, useful and easy to handle business watch - a nice addition to the ALS collection. The size (40mm; 9,1mm) and proportions work very well.










The “new” central rotor automatic movements – still have to get used to it. Maybe I like the old one too much ;-)

Caliber L086.2

When I saw the Dual Time, two watches came to my mind:

PP 5134P; 37mm


BP 2660 WG; 38mm





All shown examples are classic and understated, but the Lange looks somehow more “technical” to me – good or bad. Of course there are more options in the market, but I just wanted to mention the first which came to my mind.

The two pushers’ solution has been available before and seems to be convenient for frequent (business) travellers. The look of the Lange pushers remind me about the 1815 Kalenderwoche for Huber, just on the other side of the case, and a “poor man´s” Chronograph came to my mind when I handled that watch some years ago. It is much better on the left side, but still a similar thought – sorry. The watches I saw at the fair have been prototypes without working movement, but I asked about the feeling of the pushers. What I had in mind were the superb pushers of the Chronographs from Lange. Was told it will be the same kind of smooth feeling. Promising!

Will it sell? My prediction is yes, because as I mentioned before it is an elegant, useful and easy to handle business watch.


End of Part I














Keine Kommentare:

Kommentar veröffentlichen